For the sixth year, the Santa Monica College Alumni Association will host the Alumni Lounge at VIP Welcome Day! Alumni return to campus to welcome incoming students, share your stories from SMC, and catch up with faculty, staff, and peers! Join us Friday, August 25th from 10:00am-1:00pm SMC Main Campus at the Main Stage Theater Patio.
The Santa Monica College Music Department is pleased to present nine spring concerts in May in The Broad Stage or The Edye at the SMC Performing Arts Center (Santa Monica Boulevard at 11th Street, Santa Monica). The concerts include performances by the SMC Symphony, SMC Chamber Choir, SMC Wind Ensemble, and SMC Jazz Vocal Ensemble, a Jazz Series performance bythe Danny Janklow Quartet, full-costume performances by SMCOpera Theatre, the ever lively Terry Carter and the Riffrafters, and a Piano Ensemble recital.
The May concerts are:
• Tuesday, May 10 at 7:30 p.m. in The Broad Stage: SMC Symphony Orchestra,under the baton of James Martin, Director. The program features SMC student soloists, plus Haydn’s colorful “Oxford” Symphony #92 in G Major.(Tickets are $10.)
•Friday, May 13 at 7 p.m. in The Edye: Jazz Concert: Danny Janklow Quartet. Saxophonist and composerDanny Janklow – one of the most important young musicians on the scene today – is quickly gaining international recognition for his soulful and innovative musical voice. Part of the SMCSpring Jazz Series.(Tickets are $10.)
• Saturday, May 14 at 4 p.m. in The Edye: SMC Chamber Choir, under the direction of Brian Driscoll. Join us for a concert of English choral works, including Ralph Vaughan Williams’ “Benedicite” and selections fromGustav Holst’s “Choral Hymns from the Rig Veda.” (Tickets are $10.)
• Sunday, May 15 at 2 p.m. in The Broad Stage: SMC Wind Ensemble, under the baton of Kevin McKeown.Enjoy a concert featuring John Williams hits – including music from "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" – and a medley of music celebrating the work of Italian composer Ennio Morricone. Ensemble will share the concert with the Elemental Band, a group of young performers conducted by Peter Senchuk. All ages are welcome! (Tickets are $10.)
•Sunday, May 15 at 7:30 p.m. in The Broad Stage: SMC Jazz Vocal Ensemble, directed by Andreas Preponis. SMC’s award-winning jazz vocal ensemble, backed by LA-area jazz musicians, blends its voices in a program of jazz repertoire specifically arranged for four-part harmony. (Tickets are $10.)
• Saturday, May 21 at 7:30 p.m. & Tuesday, May 24 at 7:30 p.m. in The Broad Stage: SMC Opera Theatre,directed by Gail Gordon. Ensembleperforms selected highlights from a variety of operas, presented in fully staged scenes. (Tickets are $10.)
• Thursday, May 26 at 11:15 a.m. in The Edye: Terry Carter and The Riffrafters. Join Terry Carter and the guitar students of SMC as they perform Classic Rock, Pop, Blues, and Reggae. Don’t miss this epic concert! (Free. Complimentary tickets are available at the SMC Music Office in Room 211 of the Performing Arts Center.)
• Tuesday, May 31 at 11:15 a.m. in The Edye: Piano Ensemble Recital,under the direction of Yulia Kozlova.Come see the uniqueness and diversity of four-hand piano and piano duo repertoire performed by our very own advanced SMC piano students. Guaranteed to be more than twice as fun as solo piano performances! (Free. Complimentary tickets are available at the SMC Music Office in Room 211 of the Performing Arts Center.)
Join us in building an active alumni network that provides opportunities and resources for our alumni and current students.
to get involved.
The first SMC Alumni Lounge. Cheer squad. Men’s Soccer
returns. Ping-Pong Diplomacy. Coming soon Highlights
and Need-to-Know information about Alumni,
Future Alumni and everything SMC.
Read latest newsletter
Santa Monica College Alumni Association
1510 Pico Boulevard, 2nd Floor,
Santa Monica, CA 90405-1624
Join Our Mailing List
It’s here! The SMC Alumni Channel is your monthly newsletter.
Stay up-to-date on the latest news, highlights, events, and all things SMC.